Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Enterprise Instrumentation Framework (EIF) vs log4net

Daniel Cazzulino compares the Enterprise Instrumentation Framework and log4net here.

I've tried EIF both personnally at work and I have to agree: it's too heavy for me. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind but for right now: I like the simplicity of log4net.

I have a question (before I start using it): Can anyone boil down the Apache licence v 2.0 to plain english. This is the part that has always made be paranoid with open source licenses: I'm never 100% sure of whether or not, but using an OS tool/library/whatever, I would need to make my source available.

This particular license seems quite open, but, if I use log4net in my app, does that make my app a "Derivative work"? I'm thinking not because in section 1 in the definition of "Derivative Works" (emphasis is my own):

For the purposes of this License, Derivative Works shall not include works that remain separable from, or merely link (or bind by name) to the interfaces of, the Work and Derivative Works thereof.

Am I just being paranoid? Advice is welcome.

[Listening to: Marilyn Manson - Irresposible Hate Anthem (Live)]

No comments: