Monday, May 09, 2005

RSS Bandit 1.3 - Recovering disappearing menus and toolbars

I'm using RSS Bandit 1.3.0.29 (although I've seen this problem in earlier versions of 1.3 as well.) Occasionally all the menus and toolbars just disappear on me. The Feed Subscriptions tab, Search Tab and Feed Details Tab are still there but nothing else.

The bigger problem seems to be the fact that I can't find anywhere to right click to bring up the toolbar customization dialog to make them visible again.

Here's what you need to do to get them back:

Navigate to the AppSettings folder for RSS Bandit (C:\Documents and Settings\dmontgomery\Application Data\RssBandit on my machine) and edit the file .settings.xml

Look for a line like this (note that you're looking for "&lt;Toolbar", not "<Toolbar":

   &lt;Toolbar Guid="c95feca6-b21e-4660-ad20-8e8e5b9fe26c" DockLine="15" DockOffset="2" Visible="False" Container="f7942d78-c06c-44f8-943e-b0f68611be66"&gt;

Change Visible="False" to Visible="True"

Start up RSS Bandit again. This should make the "Main Tools" toolbar visible. Now you can right click to enable the rest.

Occasionally I need to change the DockLine setting too, but I can't remember what the "bad" value was.

I figure it's probably something to do with switching between a dual monitor setup to a single monitor or vice versa, but I'm not sure.

[Listening to: Guns N' Roses - Bad Apples]

No comments: